Monday, April 25, 2011

Unbelievable Star Wars Fun.


Today I trekked with my friend Novadove to the Star Wars Invasion at Dublin. It turned out to be a fantastic weekend. Star Wars Fans from all over the globe took time out to join in the Unbelievable Fun in that "Galaxy far far away".......

The senators of the Emerald Garrison seen in the photo came out in force to entertain "the fans" and it wasn't long before everyone was having a good time. Can you name the actors in the photo?

Being a trekker, I found himself surrounded by thousands of sci-fi fans probably "StarWarsians" so I kept stump about my inner "trekkie". Lots of people herded into the enclosed stadium which was had loads of merchandise stalls adding to the extra buzz and excitement.

 On my way in I bought some Sci-Fi merchandise and took lots of photographs with my digital camera for later. During the show Nova and I got the chance to mix with several costumed characters. The place was packed with fans waving light sabers through the air!

"I demand the uniform code of justice before my trial." Yes, its me Spacerguy!

Darth Vader, Commander Bly, Stormtroopers, Boba Fett, Shock trooper, Sand trooper, Scout trooper, R2D2, Clone Captain and Clone Commander were all there walking around taking photo turns with the fans.

The biggest moment for us was meeting Julian Glover aka General Veers and then it happened, I met and spoke with Kenny Baker the legendary chirpy robot R2-D2.

Queen of the Galaxy, Carrie Fisher was notably absent as was David Prowse (who played Darth Vader in the movies) and sounded so awful they had to do a voice over with James earl Jones. Both were no shows. For a brief moment in time and space, the galaxy stood very still but even so I was pretty stoked considering.

It was pretty neat chatting with Stars Wars actors. It was quite an experience as I momentarily found myself rubbing shoulders with actors and friends of the Star Wars universe. Julian Glover kindly agreed to stand with me as Novadove took our photo! ....So there. Forever immortalized with General Veers himself in living color! Questions and Answer's followed later with Tarfful, Admiral Piett, R2D2, Greedo, Boba Fett and General Veers recounting favourite and worst movie moments. Kenny Baker explained that the dessert temperature and sandy conditions made filming R2D2 movements quite challenging.

Live Long and end transmission.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool that you go to do something like that. BTW we just call ourselves Star Wars Fans or Fanboys or Fangirls. But if you want to see some awesome star wars madness head down to Dallas in october for fan days or the next star wars celebration. I am very jealous of you right now though

Teresa

Alex Johnson said...

I love how you fit 'trekked' into that first sentence. Glad you had fun, and again, I'm totally jealous! :P Kenny Baker and Julian Glover?!?

Ellie Garratt said...

OMG. What a great day you had! Mr. G and I met Julian Glover at last years London Film and Comic Con and he was lovely and so obliging. Don't tell anyone but he gave us his address so we could send him a piece of film memorabilia he wanted. How many actors would do that?

Whilst I'm commenting, are you thinking about going to this years London Film and Comic Con? Walter Keonig will be there, but the real treat is Christopher Lloyd and being able to have your photo taken with him and a DeLorean!

Ellie Garratt

SpacerGuy said...

Star Wars Invasion was a real fanboys dream come true, Teresa. Thanks for the pointer.

Very observant of you Alex, I thought it a nice touch myself. We shook hands too.

Kenny Baker and Julian Glover were a real pleasure to talk to. I was real early and one of the first in line. Remember that! The comic cons are great, aren't they, ELLie?

SpacerGuy said...

Thanks Sarah. Join me on my quest... the force needs you!

Featured Post

CAPTAIN PICARD TV SERIES

So analysis  has begun with Star Trek Picard's trailer... after a 17 year TNG hiatus some of trek's icons have returned. Here we ca...